Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Happy Birthday to My Zebra

Zebra.
"Your sick." says my mom. "you brought a monster into the world. "
"thats my daughter' i reply.
"thats no grand kid of mine." mom says looking at the little bundle
wraped in a blanket. presentedfor her to see.
she raised me to treat others like me .
"They are people too"she would say.
Now my own mom  treating my newborn daughter like trash.
calling her amoster. becuase i slept with a black woman.
Becuase I helped create a 'Zebra."
a girl i went to school with. We worked to get aplace to play.
put up with peoples stares  becuase we cared for each other.
she took me . i took her as each others lover.
  that hot texas night we had been wed but two months.
car drives by.
firecrackers pop.
rhonda falls .
she is bleeding. throat. chest.
her body had sheilded me. who was holding our child.
as the shots rang out. Killing my wife of two months.
leaving me alone with our daughter a Zebra.

No comments:

Post a Comment